Sunday, January 27, 2008

Walk along the Thames

Today was not a very lazy Sunday. It was yet another day of awesome weather outside so I knew I couldn't spend it all inside and so I didn't.

I went to bed last night at around 1 am after finishing my book. I was awoken by Mo coming into the room very unsteadly and hopping around trying to get his shoes off and changing pants and stuff. There was a reason for his being uncoordinated which some people might guess (it was his birthday yesterday might be a clue). Anyway, I woke up during this and he mumbled something like sorry and then left again to sleep in someone else's room apparently. I immediately fell back asleep. The whole thing wasn't a very big deal to me really, it was his birthday and he could be kind of loud if he wanted to. So after sleeping again, I woke up and went to church with Rachelle. We got into our same place with the same people sitting around us (for the most part). I definitely feel more at home there than I do in my flat which is probably bad but whatever. Rachelle was looking around and spotted Phil and Katherine behind us, we did the obligatory wave. The sermon was by a priest from Australia. I think the guy was genuinely very loud and honest and stuff but I think he was also putting on a little bit of a show for everyone today during his homily. I liked him a lot and he had a lot of good things to say.

After church, Rachelle and I completed our Sunday morning ritual by going into Whole Foods on the way back and drooling over all the amazing food they have there. After we wiped the drool off our faces, we made our way back. I went online for a little bit then decided to go somewhere. I didn't decide where exactly until I was on the Tube. I got off at Vauxhall which is about a mile upstream of the Thames from Westminster. I had decided to walk on the Thames Path (a footpath on the south side of the river) for a while. A while turned into me walking from Vauxhall all the way to about a half mile past Tower Bridge. It was fantastic because the sun was on me the whole time and the River was next to me. The path wasn't too crowded most of the time. The London Eye (ferris wheel thing) had started up again after being closed for about two weeks for repairs and such. There were street performers in the park right by the Eye. The people who pretend to be statues, the break dancers, the musician, they were all there. It was fun to see them do each of their respective "thing". There was a big difference in the place from the last time I was there. I had previously walked this path but both times it was night, and raining, and the Eye was closed. Needless to say, today was the next opposite of all three of those.

Like I said, I just walked for a while next to the River, letting all the attractions and people and sights pass me by. I did wish I had a camera for parts of it but Vanessa was meeting up with one of her friends who happens to live here and I don't have one at the moment (as we all know). I got back on the Tube (probably a 4 to 5 mile walk today) and came back here.

I made spaghetti with sauce for dinner, it was ok. I read for Senior Sem tomorrow and that was about it for me today. Tomorrow is a class day as well as a grocery day, very exciting...

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

feeling at home at church is a good thing...the beauty of the universal church.

Anonymous said...

i love the comment from the pope. clearly, jj, you rate!