Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Last Time

Two words that I have heard and thought about a lot lately. It's impossible to not think that things I do now are the"last time" I will do them before I leave. For example, this will be the last time I write a post for this blog before I leave. I will admit that it gets annoying thinking this way all the time. When you start thinking things like, "this will be the last time I open the oven," you know that you have taken it to an extreme.
At the same time, living that way can be very empowering and make you appreciate the things you have much more. For example, last night I went bowling with my best friends and a bunch of other people. It was a blast and would have been on any other occasion but knowing that I wouldn't see them again for five months made me appreciate and cherish the time even more.
Another example is on Sunday night, my family came over for a kind of departing dinner. When my nephew was leaving and I realized I wouldn't see him again for five months I was crushed. As the saying goes, "you don't know what you got till it's gone". I think I said "I love you" or "I will miss you" more times in the last week than I have combined in my life.
I always thought Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" was kind of stupid but I think he was on to something. I would prefer to call it "Live Like You Were Leaving for a while". It's less morbid but doesn't have the same ring to it.
I am leaving for London in about 19 hours. Well then! I will miss my family and friends immensely but I will also create memories and experiences that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I suppose I should go sleep in my bed (for the last time). ;-)

No comments: