Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Tale of Two Days

*This entry is an extremely long post. You have been warned.*

I know everyone noticed that there was no blog post yesterday, I didn't get any e-mails about how distressed people were but I know you were. I didn't do a blog post yesterday becasue I decided, on a whim (just like everything), to go on skype and give my mom, sister, brother, and dad a call. By the time we were done talking, it was already past 2 am and I was too tired to write anything. So there ya go. I will be calling other people sometime soon too so don't be surprised if you hear my wonderful voice on the other end of the line. Now for a mammoth recap of the past two days.

Yesterday and today were pretty similar, at least at the outset. Both days I woke at around 10 am (you're jealous, its ok). Both days I ate breakfast and showered and just kind of sat around until about noon. Both days I left my flat at noon for my destination. That's where things start to diverge.

Yesterday I decided to go to Westminster Abbey (we entered through the North Transept, picture 1). This is the place where just about every King or Queen has been coronated. It is also the burial ground for a TON of different artists, writers, scientists, and royalty. Very cool place. I went with Vanessa and Chelsey. I decided to finally go inside a building for once! Problem is, they don't allow people to take pictures inside, haha, oops. The one time I could actually give you guys some pictures of the inside of a famous building, I can't. Oh well. I did take some pictures of the inside (they're illegal, thus more important).

The reason I decided to go to Westminster (the West Towers are picture 3) was because it was right by the Parliament Building which we had a tour of later in the day. So like I said we went to Westminster and it was amazing. The building itself is just awesome. It is so big and so grand that it definitely puts everyone who visits in awe. We had to pay the £7 entry fee but if you come for a mass (Church of England) you can get in and see the building for free. There are so many memorials inside the church. Along just about every wall and little chapel and stuff branching off the main nave, there are memorials and statues and plaques. It really is mindboggling. I can't remember all the famous people we saw but a short list off the top of my head is: Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens, Jane Austen, Newton, Darwin (thought that one was odd), Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, and so many more. There were memorials from as long ago as 1400 and some as recent as 1998 (probably more recent ones than that, that was just the most recent I saw for myself). There is also the so-called 'Oldest Door In Britain' (picture 2). Keep in mind that these things are all over the place and we didn't get an audio guide so we spent kind of a long time walking around and looking for all the famous names that we knew where there.

So while I was inside the Abbey, I was thinking about seeing all these famous names but I was also thinking a lot about The Da Vinci Code. For those who don't know, the last and climactic scene of the book (the movie sucked), happens in Westminster Abbey. So it was fun walking around trying to remember all the parts of the book and where they happened in the Abbey and stuff. One of the coolest things we saw in the Abbey was the throne. It was constructed in 1305 and every King or Queen sits in it during the coronation. Every single one. Since 1305. Wow. I told Chelsey that I would definitely lose a bunch of weight before coronation so I wouldn't break it. That would suck to be known as "the guy who broke the 700 year old thorne because he was too fat". We sat inside the church after exploring it, partly to suck up the atmosphere and partly because we didn't have anything else to do and about 2 hours to spare.

We decided to walk up the road a little and see 10 Downing Street (picture 4), where the Prime Minister lives. Its back behind a bunch of security :-( so I didn't get a very good picture of it, but I did take a picture which I think counts for something. So that was pretty cool. Then we visited the horse guards again because Chelsey had never seen them. Same old same old. Vanessa asked why they were there and I told her that they might attack her for asking questions like that (you never know with horses). Then we made our way over to St. James Park (where Vanessa and I went the other day). We went to a little shop thing that is built into the ground and Chelsey got a sandwich and I got hot chocolate and a couple cookies. The cookies were just otherworldly. Chelsey was having problems with her sandwich. It had this stuff on the bottom that didn't taste good and the mustard she put on it was really hot (seems like all mustards here are hot, or so I've heard). She said it was the worst sandwich experience of her life.

We made our way back over to the Parliament Building to meet up with everyon else. Everyone made it there safe and sound and the last people arrived one minute early. Woot! So we got a tour of the building. The building is sort of split in two. The House of Lords (sort of like Senators but not elected, they are appointed) side is just ridiculously elegant and extravagant. Gold leaf and paint was in no short supply. Again no pictures allowed (poo...) so you'll just have to take my word for it. There was a lot of information imbued on us by our tour guide but I can't remember a lot of it and most of it was relevant to what we were looking at so its pretty worthless. The House of Commons side is basically all stone, very little paint and gold leaf I guess is what I am saying. This is the way it is supposed to be. The House of Lords is for the nobility (sort of) and the House of Commons is supposed to be the common people so there ya go.

There is a room called Westminster Hall. It was built in 1100. It is where a ton of famous stuff has happened. Lots of people have Lain in State in there. William Wallace had his trial in it, as did Sir Thomas More (picture 5).

On entry into the actual House of Commons room (where they meet) there is a statue of Winston Churchill which our tour guide told us everyone rubs for good luck so we all started to rub it for good luck. Some security guard with an ego said that we shouldn't do that even though there is no sign or protection. Our tour guide made up some story about how he got a letter saying that people could start doing that again. We enterd the other room and I saw that security guard talking to another one about the situation. When we walked by her again, she said that its not a big deal, our tour guide is just not supposed to promote it. He was very gracious but as soon he got out of her ear shot he said, "Security." and rolled his eyes. Haha. I thought the whole situation was dumb.

I really liked our tour guide. He actually works for one of the Lords. He told us that we should come back on Monday afternoon and watch the House of Lords in action. They are going to be discussing a law about embyronic stem cell research and a law about not being able to abort babies past 24 weeks except if they are handicapped, then you can. Obviously the part being debated is the handicapped part. Sounds very interesting and a bunch of people sounded like they wanted to go (I do too) so I hope it works out.

After the Parliament tour (picture 6). I came back to the flat and did some more research on spring break and later plans. Looking up hostels and planes and such. Through some hard work and good planning, Vanessa and I figured out the three hostels we want to stay at (cost, location, reviews were all factors). I made a bacon and cheese quiche for dinner. Absolutely fantastic. It was frozen so all I had to do was warm it in the over but it was less than £1 which made it taste better I think. Even my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with all ingredients combined are probably more expensive than that.

After dinner and more research, I called up my fam on Skype. Very cool. I love technology. It was just super stupendous that they all answered and I got to talk to all of them. I missed them terribly (along with everyone else back home) so it was nice to hear their voices and stuff.

As I said, today I left the flat at around noon but not for Westminster. In the e-mail I got back from Sonya, she told me how much she liked this place called Canary Wharf and a village named Greenwich. I had wanted to go to both just based on the readings from the books I have but she affirmed what I already thought. Sonya told me that Canary Wharf was a lot like Minneapolis. Boy was she right. Before I get into that too much, I'll just talk about the journey there a little bit. The Tube is very old so every weekend there is always closures or partial closures and the train that I wanted was under a closure so I had to take a different way. Which was take the Tube to Tower Hill and then hop on the DLR (docklands light rail) down to the Wharf and Greenwich. This turned out to be the best way to do it anyway. Very easy and the DLR is above ground so it was cool seeing stuff as it based by (as opposed to tunnels). The part of London that I passed through was very different from any part I had seen yet. There were a LOT of like ten story humungous apartment buildings. In central london, its just about all 4 or 5 levels and that's it (except things like St. Pauls Cathedral or whatever). Seeing this part was nice.

So I got to Canary Wharf (station is picture 7) and started walking around in the city streets. I ran into a park that had little eye balls sticking out of the fountains and the ground (picture 8). Very weird. While I was walking, I kept thinking, "Geez, this place really is like Downtown Minneapolis but something is missing..." I finally realized what was missing. PEOPLE. There was basically not a soul to be found on the streets. I realize that it is an area with a lot of high rises and so on a Saturday afternoon it wouldn't be teeming with life but god. I would say that I saw about 20 people the entire time I was walking around (which was probably 45 minutes plus). Very strange. I loved this area though. It made me miss Minneapolis a lot. Even though I don't spend that much time Downtown, I always know its there and this made me realize how much I like knowing that. There were canals and large office buildings (picture 9) all over the place too which I really liked as well. It was very quiet and peaceful. Very different from everywhere else I have been in London. I liked the fact that I was the only tourist around. Made me feel special. I want to come back here on a weekday night or something and eat dinner, that would be very nice. The area was all built during the Thatcher Era (80's) and apparently never really lived up to its promise until recently when a bunch of companies came in and stuff. I saw a sculpture in a square with a founatin that I really liked (picture 10).

So I rode the DLR a little farther until I got to the Thames River. Greenwich is across the river so you might be asking me why I got off on the other side. Welllll, there is a tunnel (picture 12) just for pedestrians that goes under the river and goes out right in Greenwich. Of course I had to do it. Not much to say about it, I took a couple pictures. A little unsettling knowing that I was under all that pressure from water and land and the tunnel is from 1904 but that's ok. I made it through and survived.

I popped out in Greenwich and looked back across the river at Canary Whart. The skyline reminded me of Downtown which is my favorite skyline ever so that's a compliment. I explored Greenwich. I went to the two Royal Naval War College buildings. Why are there two and not one building? Good question. Because the Queen's House was behind it and the Queen didn't want her view disrupted so they split the College into two symmetrical buildings with a gap between so the Queen could still see the river (picture 11). Not much to say about the College, one side had a chapel and the other had a Painted Room (the chapel and painted room are with the domes in picture 13). Man was that room ever painted. All over the place, paintings (picture 14). I went to the Queen's House. Nothing of note.

I made my way up to the Royal Observatory. Its up a hill. This is where the Prime Meridian is (picture 15). A bunch of people were getting their picture taken with one foot in the Eastern Hemisphere and one in the Western Hemisphere. I didn't. There were a ton of tourists and I just wasn't that interested in the whole thing. I don't think I looked at on exhibit. I suppose I should have. Oh well. The view from the Observatory was very cool. You could make out St. Paul's Cathedral and Tower Bridge to the west. The Millenium Dome was to the right.

I walked back down the hill but this time through the town. Very nice little village. I had some chips (french fries) for lunch and then made my way back to Canary Wharf. I walked around there more (I told you I liked it). This is where part of 'The World Is Not Enough', a Bond film, was filmed. He chanced some bad guys through the canals. I was walking around and I saw an escalator down into the entrance of a mall so I went down and it. By doing so, I found out where everyone was. They were all underground shopping at these HUGE underground hallways with shops galore. It looked just like a mall back in the US. As I was going to the DLR station, I noticed that there was a skating rink (picture 16). Seriously, add some snow and that picture looks like Minneapolis.

I made my way back and stopped and got laundry detergent. I am currently washing clothes which ended up costing £8 ($16) total. That's without the price of laundry detergent. Ugh. Oh well. It has to be done. Just like this entry. This is the longest entry to date. Hope you enjoyed it! Toodles!

No comments: