Monday, January 28, 2008

Non-School Research

I feel like my eyes are turning into square shapes on account of all time I've spent looking at a computer today. It can't be helped really. I have been researching relentlessly on places to go, things to see, when to go, and a million other things about europe just about all day.

First off, I got up and was walking to Sociology of the City when some guys from my program came walking back the other way with huge smiles on their faces almost shouting all the way down the street that class was cancelled. I was mildly excited. I like that class and I like that prof so (as geeky as it sounds) I was a little disappointed. Plus, I didn't really have anything I really wanted to do today so I was sort of at a loss. But I went down to the computer lab and starting looking at stuff online and I was instantly hooked. I spent almost all of the time that I would have been in class, reading in my "Let's Go Europe" Book (thanks Amy, BEST BOOK EVER). Seriously.

Then I went to Senior Sem. The topic of class was a chapter in our textbook entitled, "The Relationship of Religion and Morality". Uh oh, major controversy brewing in this chapter. Rachels (the author) basically said that religion and morality are completely different things. He went through a bunch of arguments why that was true (using "reason"). One of the reasons they should be seperated is because some people do things because God says they are right and Rachels says that that is bad reason to do something (paraphrasing here). I actually kind of agree but through the WHOLE chapter, Rachels never once mentioned faith. I think that sometimes you have to do things because you BELIEVE that they are what God wants you to do and that's all you have. That can give people a lot of courage and make people do (good) things that they normally wouldn't do. Sorry to get all evangelistic or whatever but I was a little put off by this chapter. Rachels, in the last paragraph of the chapter, says that "he isn't anti-god". I might disagree. We spent the rest of class doing a readthrough of "Murder in the Cathedral" by T.S. Eliot in preperation for our visit to Canterbury Cathedral on Saturday. Sir Thomas Becket was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral in 1270 and people have gone on pilgrimages there ever since. Needless to say, I am excited to visit.

After class, I researched more for what I want to do during and after my classes are done. Nothing set in stone, just accumulating knowledge and seeing if things pique my interest or not. I did a half grocery store visit. That means that I bought stuff for lunch and breakfast but not any dinner options really. I still have spaghetti for tomorrow night so I probably won't do that until Wednesday. Very exciting stuff, I know. Oh well. All in all, it was a pretty relaxing day (even if my eyes are tired from staring at the screen), my first one in a while. I hope everyone had a good Monday (not really possible).

Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh! :)

Anonymous said...

that makes absolutely no sense. religion and morality are of course very closely related. furthermore, religion and reason are also very closely related... believe it or not. because in order to come to theological conclusions, you have to take into account the fact that there is truth in everything... there has to be. there's truth in all the religions of the world, there's even truth in the scientific findings... you can't take God out of it when God is everywhere in it. morality... looking at what's good and what's bad... determining what's right and what's wrong... is a central part of religion. so to seperate those is stupid. people are moved to accomplish great things because there's something bigger than themselves pushing them to do it... whether they realize it or not.
you're right, though, about the difference between doing something just because God thinks you should, or doing it because you believe that God wants you to do it. The only way anything's ever going to get done in this world is when the people making the changes have a reason strong enough to do it.
i'm just blog surfing and came across yours. we were just talking about this topic in one of my classes, so i had to say something. :)
what's the difference between faith and religion?