Monday, May 5, 2008

Island Hopping






Hello again. I am reporting from the beautiful island of Santorini today. It turns out that the stupid hostel that I reserved lied about a few things on their hostelworld.com account thing. They do not have free internet and the "five person dorm room" is actually a three bed room that I have to myself. I am not really complaining about the room thing but it would be nice to actually have a hostel so I could meet some more people. It's almost impossible to meet people when you all have your own rooms. Anyway, back to what happened today.

Last night, I wandered around after going to the internet cafe soaking up the atmostphere and looking at how amazing all the houses in Mykonos look. There was a nice buzz around the town as well. There were locals and tourists walking around. It was awesome. I came to Mykonos at the perfect time. Still some locals and low season prices but warm weather. So I went back to my hotel and watched Day After Tomorrow on the tv. Then I fell asleep. I set my alarm to maybe go check out the sunrise again but I was too tired so I just fell asleep again. I woke up at 9 and got ready and left. I ate breakfast (mini croissants and juice) at the windmills. It was windy but fabulous. I love the windmills and I loved the view from there. I spent the rest of the morning walking up into the island for a little bit, just exploring and seeing more of the town. Then I wandered through the town looking at the stores that were in my Frommer's Greece book. Everything in the town was worth a picture. It was awesome to see how the sun moving in the sky changed the colors of the buildings and the shade. All the buildings are white with all sorts of colored accents. The windows, doors, and stairs are painted blues and greens and reds. It was perfect. I can't even imagine living in a place like that. I didn't take a ton of pictures only because I could have taken a picture of everything so it was hard to choose.

My mom told me in an email that she ate pizza at a place in Mykonos when she and Greg visited 12 years ago. I found a place called Casa di Girogio which seemed to fit the bill of what she was talking about. I don't know if it was the same place or not but it doesn't really matter. The restaurant is located right behind the Catholic church. I had a chicken and green pepper pizza. It was delicious. Kind of expensive but totally worth it. I only ate half of it and saved the rest. It was about time to catch the ferry so I went back to Suite Eleni (my hotel) and the same woman who picked me up from the ferry dropped me off. We talked a little bit about nothing really on the way. I was an hour early so I sat and chatted with a guy from Chicago and two girls from New Zealand who live in London. It was fun. I took a fast-ferry and the ride only lasted 3 hours and we stopped at Paros and Ios before arriving at Santorini. I talked to the guy across the aisle (we had assigned seats). He was from San Francisco (he was middle aged and with his wife). We ended up taking the same bus up to Fira. They went on to Oia (pronounced EE-ya). I walked around looking for my hostel. I got kind of (more like totally) lost and some people pulled over and helped me find my way. I still got a little lost and another guy helped me. I like people sometimes.

My hostel has a name like Kalaminia or something that I can't remember. I checked in and was shown my room. I was feeling kind of down (tired, hungry, sad about where I was staying, etc.) and it was another kind of bad moment. I ate my leftovers and got over it. I have had very few low moments so far (the main one being before I left Istanbul). There are have been so many high ones. Like after I checked in, I walked around Fira starting at the north and walking around the rim of the cliffs Fira is perched on. I watched the sunset again. FANTASTIC. It reminded me a lot of the sunset on Crater Lake because Santorini is part of an ancient volcanic caldera, just like Crater Lake. The company was better for that sunset though. Then I came here to this internet cafe. Now it is walking around a little bit more and then back to the hotel and sleep. Tomorrow I think I might walk to Oia or go to Antoriki, an archaeological site. We'll see. I am so lucky and miss everyone a ton...

Talk to ya soon!

No comments: